Saturday, March 21, 2009

Monochromacy



Basically every item of clothing that I have purchased in the recent past has been a varying shade of navy blue. I find myself stepping out the door in entirely blue-fits. While it is a little funny, I enjoy indulging in the lack of variance.





Now we all know that monochromacy is completely illegal when it comes to sweatshirt and sweatpants combos. It is completely unacceptable to be seen in public this way, unless you are a)elderly or b)Rocky Balboa.



I asked my roommate her opinion of monochromacy in fashion, and she was totally pro. I think it's really in right now especially if it's an all white outfit, which reminds remind me of the temple garments I recently read about that some Mormons wear while they are at church. The garments were referenced recently in an episode of Big Love that upset the Church of Latter Day Saints.



I also often think of sartorial monochromacy as something that boys and certain types of hipsters do. You know what I'm talking about, that dude who always wore brown hoodies with brown dickies, or hipsters/emo kids/goths/punk rockers/hessians etc. in all black with eyeliner. I use a photo of AFI for reference. I would have picked a better band for reference, but this is all I could come up with in my google image search for "all black clothing hipster."

3 comments:

kadavy said...

I would take it even further, and add that it's completely unacceptable to be seen in public in sweatpants at all.

I also love blue. And grey. I have little to no red in my wardrobe because it looks awful on me.

NettyL said...

Apparently, I'm not the only one thinking about this . . . http://nymag.com/fashion/08/spring/44210/

NettyL said...

Joanna Goddard also blogged about the New York Magazine piece about wearing monochromatic clothes. http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2008/02/monochromatic-new-yorkers.html, and she followed up on it with a link to a blog about wearing lots of colors. http://blog.wearpalettes.com/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin